Over the years, it has been customary that most lawn mowers are powered by gas. While it is the preferred type for some, it is not a good option for others. If you have live in a quite neighborhood and can’t make too big of a ruckus with your tools, you will need to use a brushless lawn mower.
Brushless lawn mowers are great for professional gardeners, or for those who have small areas to mow. If you need a lawn mower that is strong and has a longer life, then a brushless lawn mower just might be for you.
Let’s have a quick review of what a brushless lawn mower is, the advantage of using one, and few options to explore when you want to purchase one.
Brushless Lawn Mower
A brushless lawn mower is simply a lawn mower that is powered by “brushless motors.” With a brushless lawn mower, the battery efficiency is increased, it performs more tasks and is sometimes even more durable than other lawn mowers. To get a clearer view of the pros associated with using a brushless lawn mower, we have a quick rundown of a brushless motor and what you need to know.
What Is a Brushless Motor?
A brushless motor is distinguished from a brushed motor by its use of magnets to generate power. It is a motor that operates without the commutator of a brush motor and mechanical brush. Brushless motors need to have an electronic communicator added to it.
Advantages of Using a Brushless Lawn Mower
- Brushless lawn mowers are extremely powerful; they carry out large tasks at a very fast rate, without any signs of lagging.
- Brushless lawn mowers require less maintenance; you don’t have to clean them up all the time or carry out extensive checks on their motors. You don’t have to regularly replace the brushes as you would for a brushed lawn mower.
- With the right batteries, you can have enough time to mow large yards up to an acre. Because there is no friction between the rotor and the stator, the battery is optimized. Without friction, the lawn mower works more efficiently under intensive applications.
- Brushless lawn mowers can also help you maintain the peace and serenity in your residential neighborhood because they are eco-friendly and provides zero noise pollution. You can use it at any time of the day, even at night – provided you have enough light to help you see what you’re doing. The absence of brushes eliminates all the vibration noise.
- They do not overheat like lawn mowers with brushed motors. This is because they don’t have brushes, so, they aren’t prone to breakdowns or unnecessary overheating.
- Brushless lawn mowers have electronic communicators, and because of this, the lawn mower can adjust to whatever task that is at hand. If you need to go through small grass, it slows down its pace, and when it gets to thicker grass, it fastens its pace.
There are different brands of some really good brushless lawn mowers you can purchase that will get the job done without any hassle.
Dewalt DCMW22OP2 2×20V DW Lawn Mower
This brushless lawn mower gets the work done effortlessly. It can be used to mow up to ¼ acres without any break per charge. If you have a large expanse of area that needs to be mowed, then this would get the job done.
To get the best out of this lawn mower, it is advisable to pair it with a 20V MAX DEWALT battery. With this battery, the runtime can be extended for optimal performance. And if you have a large yard you might want to get an extra battery so you can just swap a full battery for an empty one and not have to wait for it to recharge.
This lawn mower can be easily adjusted in heights, from 1.5 inches to 3.4 inches, and with this, you can handle both uneven high grasses and low grasses to give a very fine cut.
The Dewalt lawn mower is easily one of the best brushless lawn mowers because it performs a 3-in-1 function: mulching, bagging, and rear clipping discharge.
Also, it is very easy to use; you don’t need any technical know-how to handle it. DeWalt lawn mowers come with an easy start button that is located on its ergonomic handle. In addition, it has a folding handle for transport, making it very easy to move around.
- Simple height adjustment
- Efficient motor brushes
- Flexible handle for storage
- The battery capacity is a little limited so you might want to purchase an extra one.
Sun Joe Brushless Mower
In terms of value, this is one of the best brushless lawn mowers. It is powered with a 600-watt brushless motor that adds to the battery’s overall efficiency. This cordless brushless lawn mower can save you on your electricity bills which is a pretty big deal.
It is perfect for small yards because it can trim at a reasonable speed and has more than enough run time. However, for a larger space, you will find that you need to charge it more than once so you might want to have an extra battery. It has a compact design that supports easy storage when it is not in use and also features an easy start button. Its compact design makes you want to mow more because you will definitely enjoy using it.
Due to its brushless motor, it doesn’t cause noise pollution; this feature will come in handy if you are the type of person that likes to mow very early in the morning or very late at night.
This particular lawn mower comes with a solid steel blade that cuts with precision. With the detachable grass bag, you can easily dispose of its contents when it is filled up, and there is an indicator that lets you know when it is filled up.
With this lawn mower, you will not have to worry about the height of your grass because it is equipped with a 6-position height lever that can be adjusted to cut grass from 1.18-3.15 inches in height.
- With this lawn mower, you will definitely get your money’s worth
- Its grass bag is big enough to accommodate contents without clogging
- Extremely lightweight in comparison to other lawn mowers
- Very easy to transport
- It doesn’t mulch
- It isn’t self-propelled
- Requires more than one charge to mow a large expanse of space
Brushless lawn mowers are durable and don’t create a lot of noise like traditional brushed lawn mowers. Also buy purchasing an extra battery you can cut a larger lawn without interruption.