Let’s face it, most of us have either a love or hate relationship when it comes to yard work. There are those who dread the very thought of stepping into their gardens and having to rake leaves or get rid of weeds. Conversely, some find these tasks incredibly thrilling and satisfying. Regardless of your position in this debate, the hard truth is that yard work still needs to be done. And if you’re not open to enlisting the pricey services of professional lawn care specialists, you’ll have to weed out those unwanted plants with your own two hands
Highly Rated Lightweight Weed Eaters:
But this chore can get very tiring, especially if you have a large lawn to cover. This is where light weight weed eaters come in handy. Also known as weed whackers, electric string trimmers or electric weed eaters, with the best lightweight weed eater, you’ll be able to trim easily and without getting tired too quickly. Read on to learn more with our weed eater reviews.
What the Best Lightweight Weed Eaters Have
When using a string trimmer, you will probably be bearing the full weight of the tool. As such, it’s important to pick one that is comfortable to haul and navigate. Advisably, it should have shoulder straps to provide more comfort.
Quiet motors or engines
Whether you go for an electric or gas powered lightweight weed eater, ensure that it operates quietly. Whenever possible, go for electric models as they are quieter than the gas powered ones.
Powerful trimming abilities
If you want to trim stubborn weeds, you should go for a weed eater with dual nylon lines. Ideally, the lines should be 0.08 inches or thicker so that they can cut through tough vegetation. But you should also follower the manufacturer’s recommendations about cutting lines as the heavy duty ones can cause damage to the motor.
The best weed eaters are those made of high-quality materials. Look for one that integrates supreme materials into a thoughtful design whether it’s the pullcords, spools or engines.
Best Lightweight Eater Reviews
Weighing in at 5.7 lbs., the Black and Decker LST300 is certainly one of the lightest weed eaters. It’s equipped with a 20-volt lithium-ion battery, which provides 33% more run time than standard batteries.
Another feature that sets this string trimmer apart is its PowerDrive transmission. This system increases the torque to provide more power from the motor to the cutting string, allowing you to cut weeds and grass in a shorter time. What’s more, it has a tool-free conversion element, which enables you to convert the tool to an edger. It also provides a quiet operation, which is a plus compared to gas-powered weed eaters.
- Serves as an edger and weed eater
- Battery powered
- Weighs 5.7 lbs.
- Has a battery time of 30 minutes
- It’s reason ablypriced
- Lightweight and quiet
- Excellent battery runtime
- The 12-inch cutting swath is ideal for small and medium lawns
- Powerful- the PowerDrive system gives the weed eater higher cutting power
- Does not offer variable speeds
Designed to help you cut through any chaff, the Makita XRU02Z is another lightweight string trimmer worth considering. In line with Makita motor technology, the motor of this weed eater delivers a superb 7800 revolutions per minute. If you factor in the easy-to-assemble spool, you end up with a very effective tool that can cut through the toughest of weeds.
Another thing we like is the head of the Makita 18V trimmer, which gives you five different positions for cutting from difficult angles. Plus, its telescoping shaft can be adjusted from 481/2” to 561/2”. This string trimmer weighs a measly 6.4 pounds, making it compact for working in very tight spaces. Also, it has a battery warning light to alert you when the battery is running low.
- Comes with a nylon cord and bump-and-feed trimmer head
- Has a cutting width of 101/4 inches
- Weighs 6.4 lbs.
- The telescoping shaft can be adjusted
- It has star protection to prevent it from overheating and overloading
- It’s backed by a 3-year warranty
- Adjustable 5-position head
- Has an easy-to-attach spool assembly
- The battery design activates the indicator light and automatically shuts down the motor when a recharge is required
- The package does not include the battery or charger
Another lightweight weed eater that will give you good value for your money is the Black and Decker GH900. It’s economical and capable of cutting through weeds and grass swiftly, thanks to the 6.5-amp motor.
It also has a wider cutting path of 13 inches. What this means is that it can cut more grass within a short amount of time. The shaft is adjustable to different heights and it spins, allowing you to trim weeds and overgrowth. The GH900 string trimmer boasts an automatic line feed. This way, you can change the line without removing the cup every other time.
- Weighs 7 lbs.
- It’s a corded electric model
- Has a cutting width of 13 inches
- Equipped with a 2-in-1 easy conversion wheel for edging
- Excellent torque and cutting power
- Has an automatic line feed system
- Comes with a 2-year warranty
- No battery life to contend with
- When the line jams, the motor overheats
- Tends to go through the line quickly
If you’re looking for a lightweight, multi-purpose weed eater, the Worx GT 2.0 has got you covered. Although slightly pricier than other string trimmers in our review, the GT 2.0 is worth the investment. Despite the fact that it weighs 5.7 lbs., this tool can be used as a string trimmer, an edger,and a mini-mower. Equipped with in-line wheels, this tool makes edging seem like one of the easiest tasks. These wheels are also used for mowing-like function, helping you trim around your landscape and other hard-to-reach spots.
Furthermore, this trimmer is powered by a 20-volt MAX lithium battery, giving you a longer run time and more power. With this battery, you don’t have to worry about self-discharge or gradual loss of power. There are also 7 locking adjustments to provide optimal comfort whether you’re trimming, mowing or edging.
- Weighs 5.7 lbs.
- Doubles up as an edger and mini-mower
- Powered by a 20-volt MAX lithium battery
- Equipped with a 90-degree tilting shaft
- It’s multi-functional
- Boasts a 2-inch larger cutting diameter
- The 20V MAX lithium battery is lighter than Ni-Cd batteries by up to 20%
- Comes with a detailed instruction manual
- Multiple adjustments to suit different heights and postures
- The length of the handle is on the shorter side of the spectrum
A key highlight of the Greenworks 21212 weed eater is the zero carbon footprint. Put simply, you shouldn’t expect this and other Greenworks tools to emit even an ounce of carbon into the atmosphere. So, if you’re an advocate for eco-friendly equipment, this Greenworks string trimmer is your best bet.
Moreover, the 21212 string trimmer is backed by a 4-year warranty, which is almost double the industry standard warranty. This means that you can count on this weed eater to perform at the highest level.
- Weighs 7 lbs.
- Powered by a 4-amp motor
- 13-inch cutting width
- Environmentally friendly
- Fitted with a rotating shaft perfect for edging
- Lightweight and ergonomic design
- Longest warranty
- The user has to buy the power cord separately
The Bottom Line
Are you tired of hauling around bulky and smelly gas powered weed eaters? If so, these new and redesigned lightweight weed eaters are just what you need. Cutting weeds can be an arduous task. It becomes even more taxing when you have to navigate a heavy weed eater. Luckily, the reviewed string trimmers are designed with weight in mind. Weighing between 5 and 7 lbs., these weed eaters will get the job done without you suffering from fatigue.