Have you ever wondered how some homeowners are able to maintain those perfect lines around the edge when it seems so impossible with a lawn mower or grass trimmer? The short answer to this is a lawn edger.
Whether you have a small or big yard, one that is slightly landscaped or filled with flowerbeds, investing in a quality lawn edger can help you to keep it looking sharp and appealing. With this piece of equipment, you can tame unruly edges using the greatest precision. In the same way that framing a picture enhances a piece of art, maintaining an evenly trimmed perimeter boosts the curb appeal of your home. The crisp edges are a clear indication of the time and resources spent in tending to the property. Now that you know the importance of a lawn edger, how do you go about choosing one?
Top Rated Lawn Edgers:
Features to Consider
The most important aspect to consider when purchasing an edger is the source of power. Ideally, you’ll need to choose from two main types: battery and gas edgers. The benefit of using a cordless edger, which gets power from a battery is that it’s easy to maneuver as it’s not bound by an extension cord like with electric lawn edgers. On the downside, cordless edgers are not as powerful as their gas counterparts. So, if you need a powerful edger to tackle tough grass, a gaspowered model is the best.
Different edgers are fitted with different features that make them user-friendly. For instance, some manufacturers add adjustable assist handles and telescoping shafts, allowing to work for prolonged periods without getting tired. Another factor that affects this tool’s ease of use is its weight. Ensure you find an edger of the correct size and height for you to make the edging task comfortable.
Do you want a walk behind edger that resembles and works like a lawnmower or the stick model design, which is held like a weed whacker? If you’ll be using the edger just a few times every month, a stick model is a better option. A walk behind edger offers more precision and it can cover a larger area than a stick model.
5 Best Lawn Edger Reviews
If you’re looking for a powerful edger that has all the bells and whistles, the walk behind lawn edger by Southland Outdoor Power Equipment is the perfect option. Equipped with a 79cc engine, this edger is capable of tackling all kinds of grass. It also has several useful features such as the 9-inch blade, which enables you to cut grass right down to its roots. Also, the blade can be adjusted in six different cutting positions.
The Southland edger has three wheels and a 54-ounce fuel tank. With such a capacity, you’ll be able to cover a large lawn easily. For beveled edging, the wheels have been positioned in such a way that can be adjusted 15 degrees to the right or left.
- Powered by a 79cc engine
- Weighs about 69.5 lbs.
- Has a triangular three-point blade
- Curb hopping ability
- Has a manual recoil for an easy start
- Capable of a straight or bevel cut
- Backed by a two-year warranty
- Has a durable steel construction
- Extremely powerful
- The triangular blade provides versatility
- Requires gas
- The handle is not adjustable
The Worx WG896 is a lawn edger that gives you good value for your money. Designed for small to medium-sized yards, this edger makes an excellent substitute for those who don’t to worry about purchasing gas or the fumes emitted from gaspowered edgers. The Worx is a corded electric, meaning that you have to connect it to an electrical outlet. Unfortunately, this also means that you’ll be restricted by the length of the cord.
On the plus side, this edger is equipped with an electrical cord lock to prevent it from disconnecting, which is a common issue among yard tools. With two rear wheels and a guide wheel at the front, the Worx edger is pretty stable and easy to navigate in a straight line.
- Powered by a 12-amp motor
- Has an adjustable shaft
- Weighs 14 lbs.
- The blade diameter is 71/2 inches
- Has a three-position blade depth adjustment
- Fitted with a cutting line indicator
- Boasts a straightforward assembly
- The blade adjustment facilitates in-depth cutting along flower beds and sidewalks
- Creates a clean and precise cut
- Lightweight design; hence easy to carry around
- Suitable for edging and digging small trenches
- Does not have a very strong motor
- The rear blade may get caught in thick grass
One aspect that discourages homeowners from yard care tasks is having to carry and maneuver bulky equipment. But this is not the case with the Black and Decker 2-in-1 edger, which weighs only 12.4 pounds. If you factor in its compact size, you end up with an edger that’s easy to navigate in tight spaces.
It has a 7.5-inch cutting blade, which is on the short side. To compensate for this, the manufacturer uses hardened steel to make this blade, making it one of the sturdiest. Another plus of this edger is the 11-amp motor that provides sufficient power to tackle tough grass and roots. Furthermore, it has an adjustable handle, fit for use by both left and right-handed individuals.
- Uses an 11-amp high-torque motor
- Can convert to a landscape trencher
- Has a 3-position blade depth adjustment
- Comes with built-in cord retention system
- Incredibly lightweight design and a high-powered motor
- Versatile and allows for adjustments to make edging less tedious
- Provides a quiet operation
- Easy to use and maintain
- Comes with an extra edger blade
- Multi-functional—can be used for in-yard trenching
- The instruction manual can be improved
- Slightly difficult to navigate through thick growth
- Challenging to edge on sharp curves
The Ivation cordless edger is the best budget edger if you’re not looking for something that does twenty other tasks apart from basic edging and trimming. Plus, it’s cordless, so you don’t have to struggle with extension cords or electrical outlets. The manufacturer provides interchangeable batteries, allowing the unit to work for longer and on bigger jobs.
We also like the shaft is adjustable. It features a telescoping tube for rotating and tilting the handle; therefore, helping you find the ideal angle for holding the edger. And if you’re not a gardening enthusiast, the Ivation edger makes an excellent gift for a talented gardener.
- Powered by 2.0mAh lithium-ion battery
- Weighs 5 lbs.
- Has a cutting width of 12 inches
- The head speed is 7200 revolutions per minute
- Comes with 2 rechargeable batteries to provide a longer runtime
- Versatile thanks to the 4 trimmer head angles
- Length of the shaft can be adjusted to suit different users
- Has an automatic feed spool providing smooth continuous use
- Has an adjustable assist handle
- Does not work well in heavily-weeded areas
- It’s not the most powerful
You can ease the task of maintaining your lawn by decreasing the number of tools that you have to drag in and out of your storage shed. One way to do this is to invest in a multipurpose edger like Worx GT2.0 3-in-1 model. You can use it for edging, trimming and even mowing your lawn.
Equipped with a 12-inch cutting blade and a 32-volt motor, this edger is ideal for small and medium lawns. And the good thing is that it has several features, which make switching between the three functions incredibly easy.
- Uses one 32V MaxLithium battery
- Has a cutting diameter of 12 inches with an automatic single line feed
- Includes battery and charger
- It’s a 3-in-1 tool—serves as a mini-mower, string trimmer, and edger
- Backed by a 3-year warranty
- The 32-volt MaxLithium battery has a longer runtime
- The dual-positioned wheels make edging easier
- Has an adjustable shaft
- Not as powerful as other lawn edgers
- Not a good choice for large yards
Many homeowners spend a huge chunk of their time maintaining their lawns. With a quality edger in your hands, however, this task doesn’t have to be that time-consuming—especially if you get a multifunctional edger. With one of these top-rated edgers, you can shape your yard and make it look well-groomed.