- Why Go for a Battery Powered Edger?
- Essential Features to Consider when Buying a Battery Powered Edger
- Best Battery Powered Lawn Edgers
- The Bottom Line
With a half-decent lawn mower, you are able to keep the grass at a reasonable length. Unfortunately, this machine is not the best for preventing grass from growing over the path edges and walkways. The right tool to use for such occasions is a lawn edger. Like the hedge trimmer for edges and the weed eater for weeds, lawn edgers are the perfect tools to tidy your lawn and give it that neat, finished look. When it comes to choosing lawn edgers, there are three main kinds: gas powered, battery powered, and manual lawn edgers. In this article, we focus on battery powered edgers by explaining why they are the best, as well as recommend a few top models.
Why Go for a Battery Powered Edger?
To start using a cordless or battery powered lawn edger, all you need to do is to press the “on” button and start trimming those unkempt edges. You don’t have to worry about buying gas or having to mix it with oil before pouring it into the machine, nor do you have to worry about purchasing a long extension cord to drag around your yard.
Better yet, the best battery powered edgers do not require as much maintenance as their gas powered counterparts. What’s more, they’re environmentally friendly as they don’t emit any noxious fumes.
You can use a battery powered edger just about anywhere you want. Since this tool has no extension cord, you don’t have to stop midway and unplug it from the outlet when you want to move to another location. This is a handy feature if you have a large area to cover and need some flexibility when moving. Another plus for a battery powered edger is that it’s lightweight. This factor adds to its flexibility as you can carry it around without getting fatigued.
Unless you want to get sued for disrupting your neighbor’s tranquility with your loud gas powered lawn edger, you’re better off choosing the battery powered models. Most cordless lawn edgers operate well below 80 dB.
Essential Features to Consider when Buying a Battery Powered Edger
Battery voltage is the unit that determines just how powerful the lawn edger is. You will find that most edgers are fitted with 12V to 40V batteries. Choose the best battery depending on your needs. If you’ll be trimming a large area, you’ll need to get a lawn edger powerful enough to get the job done quickly. Advisably, go for lawn edgers that use lithium-ion batteries instead of the NiMH, which only lasts for a short time.
Another thing you’ll need to check is the battery life and charger specification. The higher the Ah number, the longer its runtime. On the same note, the edger’s battery shouldn’t take too long to recharge. The standard charging time ranges from 30 minutes to two hours.
Nowadays, the majority of the batteries on the market are designed in such a way that they can be used interchangeably with other cordless equipment by the same manufacturer. So, if you already have other gardening tools by the same manufacturer, check whether the battery is interchangeable.
Comfort and Adjustability
If you’re finding it uncomfortable to use your new lawn edger, then you’re less likely to use it. So, before buying, test the edger and see if it’s user-friendly. To provide ultimate comfort, the edger should have an adjustable handle, shaft length, and cutting head, allowing you to change settings as you see fit.
Best Battery Powered Lawn Edgers
1. VonHaus 40V Max Cordless Edger
If you’re looking for a powerful edger, you’ll want to go for the 40V Max Cordless edger by VonHaus. With its auto-feed line cutting technique, 90-degree angle adjustment and 9.8-inch cutting width, there’s no doubt that this edger will meet your needs.
The VonHaus Max Cordless is an edger and a string-trimmer in one unit. And the good thing is that you can switch between these tools very easily. This versatility means that you can use the tool not just to tend to your lawn but to also trim the edges along your garden fence and around the flower beds. It’s equipped with a 2.0Ah battery and a safety guard, which protects you from accidents.
- Weighs 10 lbs.
- Uses a 2.0Ah battery with a charge time of 1 hour 15 minutes
- Auto-feed line cutting mechanism
- Doubles up as a string trimmer
- It’s a versatile tool—can be used for maintaining lawn edges, around tree trunks, and flower beds
- Boasts a lightweight and ergonomic design
- The trimmer head is adjustable
- Incorporates a safety guard and edge guard for extra protection
- Each battery is interchangeable; hence compatible with other VonHaus garden tools
- Not designed for tough jobs
2. Greenworks 12-Inch 24V Cordless Edger
Like our top pick, the Greenworks 24V Cordless Edger also doubles up as a string trimmer. The only difference is that it does not have as much power as the VonHaus Max Cordless, making it better suited for lighter trimming tasks.
Nonetheless, this edger has other features going for it. For instance, the electric start eliminates the need for purchasing gas. The fact that it’s a battery powered edger also means less maintenance and zero fumes.
It has a cutting path of 12 inches with 0.065 single line auto feed to provide easy line advancement. For convenience, its 40-inch shaft length is compatible with the GreenWorks Replacement Spool, and the manufacturer has also provided a battery and charger.
- Has a cutting swath of 12 inches
- The electric start eliminates the need to buy gas
- Powered by a 24V 2Ah battery
- Weighs 8.8lbs.
- The pivoting head enables the user to edge and trim using the edging wheel
- Long shaft suitable for taller people
- Included battery and charger
- Has a very short run time of just 25 minutes
- Lacks an auto-feed string
3. Worx WG163 GT 3.0 20V Cordless Edger
It’s never interesting when your battery runs low when you’re in the middle of your edging task. To prevent this, you can go for an edger with a long battery life or buy an additional battery. The Worx WG163 GT 3.0 edger addresses both problems. Put simply, the manufacturer provides two 20V quality lithium-ion batteries, which boast a long runtime. When one battery runs low, you can use the spare one as the other charges.
Furthermore, this edger has a 2-in-1 function in that it can be used for grass trimming or edging. The device can be converted to a trimmer in a matter of seconds. With a 12-inch cutting width and an ergonomic design, you won’t find a better edger than this one.
- Has 2-in-1 function: trimming and edging
- Powered by two-20V batteries
- Weighs 5.3 lbs.
- Batteries compatible with other WORX power tools
- Lightweight; thus easy to navigate
- Reliable battery working time
- A decent cutting width of 12 inches
- The quick-lever allows for height adjustment
- Position of the guide wheels cannot be adjusted
- Battery has a long recharge time
4. Toro 51484 Cordless Edger
Edging can be a difficult task, especially when you don’t have the right tools in your arsenal. If you’ve been meaning to get a more comfortable edger that provides some adjustability, look no further than Toro 51484 cordless edger. Its 14-inch shaft is one that can be adjusted to accommodate users of all sizes. This edger’s high-performing features make yard care seem like a walk in the park.
These features include the 12-inch cutting width, a quiet operation, an ultra-lightweight design and dual function since it doubles up as a string trimmer. Also, it’s equipped with a 20-volt lithium-ion battery, which provides up to twice the power per weight compared to traditional nickel-cadmium batteries.
- Powered by a rechargeable lithium ion battery
- Weighs 10 lbs.
- Measures 6” by 11” by 42-1/2”
- Has an auto-feed line
- Fitted with an adjustable handle and telescope shaft
- Easy to assemble
- Convert to a string trimmer easily
- Backed by a 2-year warranty
- Does not have any attachments
5. BLACK+DECKER LST400 Lithium High Performance Edger
The Black and Decker LST400 is another edger worth considering. This edger has several features that make it stand out from the crowd. The first is a dual-mode switch, which allows the user to choose between high power and extended run time. In high power setting, the edger ramps up its power output, enabling you to tackle tougher jobs. In run time mode, the edger provides at least one hour of run time for normal edging.
Another highlight of this edger is its power-drive transmission. This feature guarantees consistency whether you’re using it to trim or edge. Essentially, it helps to maintain the cutting performance.
- Uses a 4.0Ah battery
- Equipped with runtime extension technology
- Has an automatic feed line
- Doubles up as a string trimmer
- Dual-mode switch
- Long battery life per charge
- It’s a solid machine
- Uses two batteries for extended use
- The angle cannot be adjusted
- Slightly smaller cutting diameter
- Not as powerful as other cordless edgers
The Bottom Line
Battery powered edgers have changed the landscape of outdoor gardening equipment. With no gas or oil and no extension cords to restrict your equipment’s range, cordless edgers have quickly become the go-to alternative for edging and trimming needs. So, what are you waiting for? Get yourself a battery powered lawn edger today!